Job Title : Executive Director
Grade : Assistant Secretary General of UN equivalent
Organization : Asian Forest Cooperation Organization Secretariat
Duty Station : Seoul, Republic of Korea
Recruitment Open to : Nationals of Parties and Signatories to the AFoCO Agreement
Type of Contract : Fixed-term (two years, renewable for 1 term)
Deadline : 16 September 2018 (18:00, Seoul time)
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall guidance of the Assembly of the Asian Forest Cooperation Organization (AFoCO), the Executive Director will be the head of the Secretariat with the following duties and responsibilities:
• To make arrangements for sessions of the Assembly of AFoCO and provide necessary services;
• To manage the budget and implement programs approved by the Assembly;
• To report to the Assembly on the budget and progress of the implementation of programs on a regular basis;
• To coordinate activities with other relevant bodies and entities;
• To make appropriate arrangements for forest-related cooperation and enter into agreements or contracts with relevant national, regional or international organizations, etc.;
• To facilitate preparation, evaluation and recommendation of proposals which are to be considered by the Assembly;
• To make efforts to initiate fund mobilization to support the activities of AFoCO, and
• To perform other secretariat functions as may be decided by the Assembly in order to efficiently reach the objectives of the Agreement.
• Advanced university degree (Master’s or Doctorate);
- At least 15 years of work experience with a proven track record and executive level exposure in managing programs, staff and finances, in matters relevant to forestry, natural resource management, and environment field with proven experience in strategic planning;
• Excellent command of English, written and spoken;
• High-level ability to communicate effectively and persuasively, both orally and in writing; and
- Understanding of the duties and job description as the head of the Secretariat
• Strong global professional network;
• A solid understanding of international and regional forestry issues, and knowledge of and commitment to promoting regional forest cooperation;
• High-level ability to lead and motivate staff members in a dynamic, multi-cultural and demanding work environment;
• Demonstrated ability to interact with government officials, public and private sectors and other stakeholders;
• Excellent interpersonal skills to take initiatives and maintain sound working relationships with individuals of different nationalities and cultural backgrounds;
• Strong strategic planning and business management skills
• Good knowledge of the Asian region and its culture; and
• Work experience in government agencies or intergovernmental organizations.
A candidate should be a national of a Party or Signatory Country to the AFoCO Agreement.
Salary and benefits
Salary is equivalent to that of an Assistant Secretary-General on the United Nations scale. There are other applicable benefits in accordance with the Staff Regulation of the Secretariat.
Written applications including
(1) a cover letter highlighting your suitability and potential contribution to the position (annex1-sample cover letter template),
(2) a completed Personal History form (annex2-AFoCO personal history form),
(3) a curriculum vitae (annex3-sample CV template),
(4) certified true copies of educational certificates,
(5) a certificate of good health signed by a recognized medical facility,
(6) a recent photo, and
(7) any other relevant supporting documents satisfying job qualifications such as recommendation letter, commendations, etc,together with the consent form for use of personal data (annex4-AFoCO consent form)should be received by the AFoCO Secretariat by 16 September 2018 at 18:00 (Seoul time, GMT+9 hour).
Schedule of Deliberation and Interview
11 August – 16 September 2018 Application period
19-30 September 2018 Preliminary assessment
1-11 October 2018 Deliberation by the Executive Director Selection Committee members
12 October 2018 Skype/video conference interview
* The schedule for interview is tentatively set on 12 October 2018. The interviewee/candidates will be notified during the Executive Director Selection Committee meeting on 11 October 2018, in Korea.
The schedule is subject change and the candidates will be notified accordingly.
Submission of Application
Application documents shall be submitted by e-mail or fax to the AFoCO Secretariat (email firstname.lastname@example.org, fax no +82-2-785-8970). Please indicate on the subject heading “Application for Executive Director, AFoCO Secretariat” and send to:
Acting Executive Director
Asian Forest Cooperation Organization Secretariat
8th Floor, 9 Gukhoe-daero 62-gil, Yeongdeungpo-gu,
Seoul, Republic of Korea 07236